Andriano, a village with charm
Facts & Figures
The village of Andriano is one of the smallest independent municipalities in South Tyrol, with around 1000 inhabitants and 490 hectares of land, of which about 50 hectares are planted with vines.
Coat of arms:
The red and white split municipal coat of arms originates from a noble family that can be traced back to the 13th century to the Counts of Andriano.
Archaeological finds prove that there was already a settlement here in Roman times. The Adige was navigable as far as Andriano and so the settlement was of strategic and economic importance.
There are various possible explanations for the origin of the name “Andriano”: “Andriano” (Andrien): from antraeanum, from antrum lat. round valley, wooded grotto. Other theories assume that “Andrianum” comes from the personal name Andrius, or from the Roman estate “Praedium Andreanum”.
From the records:
Andriano is first mentioned in an original parchment in 1186 in the monastery archives of Gries. Other documents from this period also attest to the existence of a ferry across the Adige.
Soil, fruit and wine:
Until the middle of the 19th century, the valley floor of Val d’Adige was swamp land. Mosses and meadows dominated the landscape around Andriano at that time. The later regulation of the Adige made it possible to drain the soil and the subsequent increasingly intensive use of the land for apple growing. Vineyards, on the other hand, have been cultivated on the dry slopes of the village since Roman times.
Agriculture and tourism are today’s largest economic sectors. In addition, some trades and commercial businesses have established themselves.
Andriano has become a popular residential and holiday village, not just because its proximity and good transport links to the provincial capital of Bolzano, but also because of its peaceful idyllic location.